Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Becoming Self Sufficient...At Last

I was married to my soon-to-be-ex husband for almost 12 years, and over those years I was slowly stripped of my independence. This was done so stealthily that I never noticed it was happening. Sure, it's easy for me to sit here now and say to myself  "How did I let this happen?!"  Of course, with hindsight being 20/20 that really doesn't help me fix my problem. I see that I let it happen and now I need to fix it.

I have been a stay-at-home mom for all of those 12 years, so needless to say I've been out of the workforce for quite some time. When I could sense my marriage was falling apart, I decided to go to Real Estate school. I figured it would give me something to do to occupy my time and could be a nice source of supplemental income. Now that I'm out on my own I need a primary source of income. I want Real Estate to be that for me.

Going to Real Estate school was one of the best things I've ever done. I absolutely love being a Realtor. It's a career I'm proud of. I don't want to go out and get some mindless job that will pay the bills. I'll do that if I have to but I'd rather make a go of Real Estate. Having just graduated from school in the spring I am very new to this business, and as with any sales-type job, it takes a while to build your business. I need to get cracking! I'm going to have a meeting with a person at work who says they can make me a business plan and will help me become successful. I know I will succeed in my career, but I want to be enough of a success that I don't need to go out and get that mindess job. I'm going to give it my best shot!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for going out and doing something you love and turning that into a career! It would be really hard to go from stay at home mom to back in the work force, but you've been able to make it happen for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! going to school and a career is not easy...making the best out of a new start is not easy (I repeat myself)

    ReplyDelete