Thursday, November 3, 2011

Leave It To Me To Do Things Differently

It seems as though my whole life my body has defied the odds, or gone against the grain in some way. If something is normal, then you can be sure my body doesn't see it that way. Most people call that being blessed, because it usually has to do with my super-fast metabolic rate or my ability to eat anything I want and not gain an ounce. I heard the comment bitch a lot when I was younger, but that was okay.
When my MS comes into play, things are no different. From all the people I've talked to, the doctors I've seen and literature I've read, I am different than most. And considering I live in Phoenix Arizona, that's a good thing. Most sufferers of MS are bothered by the heat. It causes them extreme fatigue and a host of other symptoms, but the hotter it is, the better I feel. Go figure! My neurologist always told me how weird I was. Thanks for that, doc. Well, the weather here in Phoenix is changing and boy is my body reacting to it. The cold weather is my enemy. It is attacking my body to the point where I can't remember feeling this miserable. Believe me when I say that it's been a while since I've experienced this type of pain and discomfort. Last year was bad but not quite to this level. I was recently talking to a friend about my disease and how it never bothers me. Maybe I jinxed myself. I feel like I have the flu in every muscle of my body, and the mind-numbing fatigue makes it a daily challenge just to get out of bed in the morning. Not to mention the occasional numbness and dizziness. I guess that's just to keep things interesting.
What choice do I have but to pick myself up and power through? There is no other option, so I will do it. I will try to do it with a smile on my face when all I really want to do is cry. It's okay though because I know I can do it. Give me a  couple of weeks and it will pass. It always does.

No comments:

Post a Comment